Welcome To My Blog!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Asperger's Syndrome

Having Asperger's Syndrome, I have always felt like I lived in a world where everyone else spoke a slightly different language than me. And because I subconsciously hid it so well by subconsciously mimicking others, it was always expected of me to be able to read body language, to understand social queues, and to know "the simple things" like the difference between sarcasm and seriousness, even though I could not. This created a lot of countless miscommunications and misunderstandings all throughout my life.

Unless I am directly taught by someone, I always had to learn accepted/expected social interactions through direct experience; Good and Bad. Mostly bad. And it was with applying what I have learned from one event to another event which often resulted in interactions deemed "inappropriate" or "rude" by social standards. How confusing it has been.

Social Interaction/Communication is such a simple yet complex art mostly everyone naturally grasps onto as they grow up. Something that I wish, I too, could take for granted and perform as easily & naturally as breathing.

Learning I had Asperger's Syndrome has explained a lot about my life and it's strange events, and after a couple of years of being "self aware," my only wish was that I had learned about it many years sooner, so that I would be a lot further along into understanding 'the art of social interaction and communication', and most of all, 'relationships' ... with family, friends, and significant others... ESPECIALLY significant others. And it brings tears to my eyes looking back at the extreme difficulty I had gone through, not because I did not love or was incapable of it, but because I was unable to communicate with it.

- The Temporal Guardian -

1 comment: