Welcome To My Blog!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Toyota GT86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ


The FT86 badged as the Scion FRS (in North America) and the Toyota GT86 (in the rest of the world) is the considered by Toyota to be the official successor to the Toyota TRUENO AE86. =) I once owned a Toyota AE86 hatchback. Having driven both the AE86 and the FT86, and I definitely feel the similarities. The FT86 lower center of gravity will allow you to push the car harder with minimal body roll. I have yet to really push the FT86, but I was lucky to have gotten to do donuts and drift it a bit during my test drive of the car. I just wish it was badged the Toyota GT86 here in North America as well. I'm guessing it's because since the discontinuing of the Toyota Supra (the last Toyota sports car), Toyota wants to keep the Toyota group a family-centered car line, and their Scion car line their primary focus for sporty cars, effectively separating the two. From a marketing standpoint, I suppose that makes sense -- the North American next generation will be thinking "Toyota = family vehicles" and "Scion = sporty vehicles."

One other thing to note is that this is a joint-venture vehicle between Subaru and Toyota. The engine is a horizontally-opposed boxer engine, but the overall spirit and feel is Toyota. Having owned both the Toyota AE86 and the Subaru Impreza WRX STI, this car is the perfect lovechild for a possible next car of mine. That or Subaru's BRZ, which is the fraternal twin of the FR-S.

In any case, I'm glad Toyota is getting back into the sports car scene. As one of the major forerunners in the world of sporty cars, their lack of presence was definitely felt. Welcome back, Toyota!




- The Temporal Guardian -

No comments:

Post a Comment